Monday, May 30, 2011

Ponce De Leon Missed Out In New Jersey


Yesterday, I mowed a lawn for the first time since I was a kid. The plot is roughly a half acre. We bought a new lawn mower for the summer place, a little cabin out in the woods of New Jersey. I haven't had the need to mow grass in many years as none of my living places had any grass for me or anyone else to worry about. It appears that lawn mowers have changed a bit since my day. Auto-propel technology reduces the need to push as hard as before though the hilly terrain was still a workout in the noonday sun. Of greater value is whatever technology has been developed that makes starting a gas mower a relative breeze compared to the days of tugging away furiously at the starter rope. It took a gentle tug to get things rolling and by the end, the view of a newly mown lawn felt like a big accomplishment for a holiday weekend Sunday.

The plot of land I mowed sits outside the door of the summer cabin my partner has owned for the last four or five years. From the windows in the living room, you can see the grass and a thick patch of woods whose green lushness has just filled out in time for summer. My partner's cabin is part of a group of about 10 cabins hidden from the main road. If you drive past the entrance to the compound quickly, you may not notice the gravel road that leads into the woods and up the hill to the cabin. We use the word "cabin" because it's easier to describe the place to people than trying to explain the concept of a 1950s prefab Sears house that was ordered out of a catalogue back in the day, shipped out in parts, and put together like an Ikea project on steroids.

The land that all of the houses reside on was bought by a bunch of World War II vets after the war. When they first came out, they would pitch tents and sleep on the land. Over time, they built houses on their plots and ran the community like a co-op. Some people moved on and others have passed away. The last member of the original crew is still alive and until this year, he and his wife were out here regularly, dividing their time among their cabin in New Jersey, a condo in Florida, and an apartment in New York. They're in their 90s and for the most part, they've kept very active lives. Many of the people who have lived here have also been able to enjoy an extensive golden age.

I've talked about this summer community and the residents quite often because I am fascinated by their collective longevity. Initially, I wondered if the water out here is some kind of elixir like what Ponce De Leon was looking for centuries ago. As I've learned more about these people, the answer seems so much less mysterious than that. The wife mentioned above still goes for her morning swim each day in Florida, a habit she cultivated well into her 90s by traveling on a New York City bus to the nearest Y. When she was living in the city she was a member of more clubs and, with her husband, went to more movies and museums than people half her age. Other residents in the community remain active and don't think much about age as they drive around and go about their business as cheerful, optimistic people.

It's not much of a stretch to say that staying active in one's golden years is an important component of remaining vital but there's a little bit more. Having a place outside of New York City forces you to slow down and take a breather from the manic energy that sizzles from the sidewalks. I've always said that I would like to get to a place where I am in New York only during spring and fall. For now, I have some of the summer taken care of bug winter is still a mystery.

The people here in the community are not wealthy by any means although they live comfortably as far as I can tell. They live simply and keep the overhead low which allows them to have a modest summer place where they can escape the hot sticky NYC summer. One of the biggest lessons I've learned lately is that if you keep your spending in check you will have the flexibility to enjoy life more without being weighed down by financial commitment.

There's a lot to be said for keeping balance in one's life. I am typing this from my apartment in the city where I had to endure a one-hour bus ride (standing the whole time), the too-muggy-for-May subway and a walk through the busy streets of Manhattan. As soon as I was off the bus, I was back in the craziness of New York and I could feel the difference from the quiet inner peace I felt all weekend. I've learned from these people that there is a different, healthier way to live that does not involve wealth. Instead, it involves full engagement in life and finding a way to make time for loved ones and for whatever sparks your passion in life. Just as importantly, it involves finding those quiet spaces where your mind can get off its treadmill and relax. I'm a much different person out in the country than I am in the city. Hopefully, by cultivating the lifestyle I've just been exposed to, I can ride things out for a real long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment